Sunday 22 February 2009

The Strange Death of Liberal England?


So, yet another group of people have been banned from entering the United Kingdom on the basis that the British Government oppose "extremism in all forms". Okay you may think, but shouldn't people be able to come to this country to exert their beliefs, irrespective of how unbelievably insane they are? Sure, the members of the Westboro Baptist Church aren't British citizens, but considering, historically, Great Britain has always been a breeding ground and safe haven for 'extremism' from all areas of the world so I ask the question- is this the end of Liberal England?

If it is, I'm not really too concerned. Sure people should be allowed to have free speech, but y'know it doesn't really effect me. I'll keep doin' what I'm doin', whether it be reading the Das Kapital on a Monday in the Marks and Sparks cafe, or reading Mein Kampf on a Sunday. Mein Kampf's not extremist, right?

If it isn't, then why can't people come here to do what they want? I'm not talking about allowing Ol' Osama back to attach C4 outside Downing Street, nor am I advocating the return of Robert "I hate Britain, yet my country's official language is English; isn't it ironic?" Mugabe? But surely some absolute fucking morons holding up signs saying "Death to Fags" and "God Hates The USA" isn't anymore offensive than the multitute of signs that were held up by those protesting against the Danish Cartoons, or the Iraq War calling George Bush "Number 1 Terrorist"?

Maybe there's a bit of a double standard going on? Maybe not? I'm just putting it out there. Either way, the Westboro(<- Shouldn't there be a 'ugh' on the end of that, or did it get lost in translation?) Baptist Church holding up signs saying "Priests Rape Kids' is pretty funny whichever way you look at it...

No comments:

Post a Comment